Free Individual Bookshare Memberships Available!
Bookshare can help you and the students you serve get a head start on the new year. How? Encourage your students to have individual Bookshare accounts. Your students with print disabilities will be able to independently manage their coursework – reading required texts from anywhere they have internet access.
Are your students over 18? They can sign up on their own. Students under 18 need a parent or guardian signature.
- On the Bookshare home page select the “Sign Up” link.
- Select “I (the individual with qualifying disability) am 18 years old or older.”
- Provide Proof of Disability using one of the following options:
- Download the form, complete using a word processor, print and obtain signature from a certifying professional OR download the form, print and complete the form, then obtain signature from a certifying professional.
- Fax completed form to: (650) 475-1066 or mail to Bookshare: 480 California Ave., Suite 201, Palo Alto, CA 94306-1609. Or email a scanned copy as an attachment sent to: email@example.com
- Have a National Library Service (NLS) and/or Learning Ally account? If you receive services from NLS and/or Learning Ally, you can submit this information for proof of disability verification online once you log in to Bookshare.
- Bookshare will process registration forms within 48 business hours. You will receive a welcome email containing a link to the website where you will create your login password. Once activated, you will be able to begin downloading and reading books! For registration support please visit bookshare.org/contactUs and select “Membership and Registration.”
Students with individual memberships can search for and download their own books, using Bookshare’s free reading tools or any other tool they choose. Here is a list of compatible reading tools!